Obviously this bug is not really usable as an actual bug, but I am
almost certainly encountering the original bug filer's issue so I'll
document it here in part because I can no longer gather data about the
crash myself. machine: core i5 3570k on a z77 motherboard - hd4000
graphics only. (asus p8z77 lx)

I experience the complete lockup with no kernel logs and no error's
apparent in the i915 error_state locations. No keyboard or mouse
function, no ability to login ssh. CPU fan spins up to what I think of
as it's 'default' state. Reset switch takes much longer to function than
usual (10s). Image frozen on screen.

Oddly I originally installed ubuntu 12.04 I did not encounter this bug
at all. At a distinct point after upgrading packages (which included a
kernel security fix) I abruptly began to crash usually within minutes of
boot.

I disabled automatic x startup and the problem went away. After reading
this bug I installed a 3.4 kernel and started running x again with no
issues. This machine is actually a server to be deployed to a colo, so I
eventually decided to go back to the standard kernel and simply not use
x in order to regain the ability to do 'standard' kernel upgrades and
use ksplice.

A week later and after various non kernel updates I eventually tried to
run x again in order to gather some data to file my own bug report, but
oddly the system is much more stable now and I've only encountered one
system crash in a couple days of trying to reproduce the crash.

Thus my own experience seems to indicate that there is some sort of
triggering package (presumably in x) which has been revised a number of
times since 12.04 was released. The triggering behavior has probably not
been present during the entire duration. Whatever that behavior is, it
is probably entirely valid and is simply exercising a portion of the
standard 3.2 kernel which was not sufficiently tested (presumably
somewhere inside the intel kernel level drivers).

  ubuntu 12.04 completely freezes frequently.