I'm seeing the same problem on my desktop system (Dell 745), although
mine is more like #18 than some of the other descriptions.  I'm running
Mint 13 (based on Ubuntu 12.04), kernel 3.2.0-26-generic.  The version
of xserver-xorg-video-intel is 2:2.17.0-1ubuntu4.  Mint 12 has been
working fine for months on this system.

The easiest way that I've found to reproduce is to try unmirroring or
mirroring the displays.  Trying to change the resolution of a monitor
usually causes it too.

  Screen flickers heavily after upgrading to 12.04 beta 1