Tormod,

although I'm running karmic now, this bug was seen by me on Jaunty as
well. Whenever EXA is enabled the hard freeze is happening. This is
still experience in karmic regardless of KMS.

I have played around with the options a bit:
| DRI | RenderAccel | Freeze |
+++++++++++++++++++++++
| yes  | yes              | yes      |
| no   | yes              | yes      |
| no   | no                | no       |

The freeze usually happens after some time and mostly with firefox &
flash. For example browsing for some time with Chromium and then
launching firefox can cause a freeze.

--
[RV350] system freeze randomly unless XAA used
which is subscribed to xserver-xorg-video-ati in ubuntu.