Possible work around:  Changing screen resolution ??

I first encountered the problem  when I was in the process of installing a big
pile of
updates using aptitude... (see Bug #1040774)

    Then the UI began behaving all wacky. Everything started flashing
    black every time I moved the mouse. Menus were positioned in the wrong
    places, Could not reposition windows on the UI. It was very difficult
    to see the windows inside the GU layers.   This made Quantal practically
unusable
    because because it would only correctly respond to about 1% of the mouse
clicks.

It turns out that during the upgrade my screen resolution was changed to
3840x1920 ( the first one in the pick list).   I run Quantal on VMware®
Workstation 8.0.4 build-744019.  In the Systems-Settings => Displays I
now see 'Laptop' where I used to see 'Unknown'.   Perhaps this is the
new default.

Anyway after editing the xorg.conf file with nano and  setting the
display resolution back to 1920 x 1200 - everything seems fine.

which is subscribed to mesa in Ubuntu.

  compiz crashed with SIGSEGV in memmove() from
  drisw_update_tex_buffer() from dri_set_tex_buffer2() from
  drisw_bind_tex_image() from __glXBindTexImageEXT() from
  TfpTexture::enable() from enableFragmentOperationsAndDrawGeometry()