Here comes another "me too" message.

I'm experiencing the same bug.  Dell Studio 1558 (AMD Radeon HD
standalone graphics adapter) with (K/X/L)ubuntu 12.04.  I'm currently
using proprietary drivers.

This bug had occurred on this machine before (I think in 11.04 or
11.10), but I figured it was a one-time bug.  Now it's happening again
for no discernible reason.  Like others, it's happening when opening the
laptop's lid (in my case to resume, though it sounds like it's not
limited to resuming).  Mouse is still at full brightness.  I haven't
tried logging off yet (my screen's still dimmed right now); I'm putting
that off so I can save all my work.

I don't think the card specifically is the issue (since it's affecting
AMD and Nvidia chipsets alike), but I'm going to test things like
compositing and what not to see if I can force some kind of workaround.

which is subscribed to fglrx-installer in Ubuntu.

  Screen partially darkened after suspend and resume in Xubuntu