@Christopher M. Penalver (penalvch) during the first two weeks of
Septemeber of this year things finally went from bad to worse.

Up until the start of September 2012 I had noticed and steady regression
of the wired mouse's ability to operate as it should do. Over a number
of years; 3 infact. Ever hopeful that someone somewhere was having
issues and work was being done somewhere to some good. Believing that
Logitech mice were popular enough to be taken particular not of.

The it got to the point of putting it away to only use in Emergencies(eg
trackpad death on laptops) or to drop into Mac OSX on this Mac mini.
Before this time it had been bearable but not without issue.

The wireless mouse I use just became useless in a Ubuntu environs as of
the second or third week on September 2012; which was around the time I
found the now expired report of
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xorg/+bug/1043413 . Up until
that time it had worked without issue. Not issues or problems at all.
Not withstanding that I never took it to it's multi-function
capabilities(eg different buttons for different uses in media players
etc) but it functioned totally as it should have done in programs such
as GIMP, Firefox, VLC etc..but now it will not play at all. Nothing
works correctly. It points but doesn't fire or rather fires randomly off
so randomly as to be like not worth of use.

Back to the wired mouse being used now. This message for example
required  20 plus extra clicks to be able to read & type  whilst the
page scrolled randomly up and down. Then when I finally started typing
out these last two sentences the lines of text stopped jumping up and
down.

The above is quite typical ...and it is also quite typical that within 5
seconds of completing those sentences the problem began again :/

And now it's stopped. :)

Sometimes it never stops. Requiring a hard reset. Which sometimes puts a
stop to it. Sometimes not. But mostly as the session continues, it
continues to worsen in ever increasing and decreasing degrees. :(

  046d:c044 Logitech mouse does not work correctly