Unity will not start even in my case. I don't use it because (I hate it) and it
need too many video card resources. You can check if your video card supports
Unity with this command (you should have all 'yes''):
/usr/lib/nux/unity_support_test -p

In my case Gnome-shell too has these behavior: the environment start partially
and remains unusable.
Use KDE, enable the graphics effetcs too, and enyoj!

which is subscribed to nvidia-graphics-drivers-173 in Ubuntu.

  [update request] nvidia-173.14.36 adds support for  xserver ABI 13
  [quantal]