Same problem bothers me almost every hour.

Here is my situation and what I found.

CPU: i7-2600
GPU: AMD HD 7850 Gigabyte (using FGLRX driver)
Motherboard: ASRock Z68 pro 3
RAM: 8GM
2TB HDD + 120GB Intel SSD
Ubuntu 12.04 with kernel 3.2.0-36-generic

No other TTYs can be started "using Ctrl + Alt + F1, F2..."
, and mouse and keyboard was locked too.

Bu ,"Everything" seems to be keep running while the screen freeze.
I can still listen to music through USB while the screen freezes.
And today i found i can even remote log in using Macbook Air within the LAN.
I can 'ls', 'vim', and 'ls -tnl /var/log'...
I couldn't find anything happened at the time.
and I EVEN tried 'sudo reboot' !! It WORKED for me !!

I think the only three things freeze and crashed is "screen", "mouse",
"keyboard"
(I re-plug my mouse usb and insert again, nothing happened...)

For anyone annoyed by this problem, try remote login and sudo reboot to
avoid hard reboot, and I hope this could rule out some possibilities
when debugging. Thx.

  ubuntu 12.04 completely freezes frequently.