Possible stupid fix:

  I had the total freeze problem as well. Yesterday night, the computer froze 7
or 8 times in three hours. Today, I installed gnome 3 and used it for a few
hours without problem. I installed the gnome 3 GUI following the procedure
given at
 http://www.allili.net/gnu-linux/installer-gnome-3-4-sur-ubuntu-12-04 (in
french), i.e.:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:gnome3-team/gnome3
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install gnome-shell

Then you need to reboot (but you must be used to rebooting by now) and
select the gnome GUI at the login screen.

This pseudo-fix is not as radical as installing a previous version of
Ubuntu. Too sad for people who like Unity. If on the long run, it
appears it really solved the problem (this bug is sometimes surprising),
it may indicate the bug is rooted in one of the packages specific of
Unity.

I'll fill another comment if the system restarts freezing again.

  ubuntu 12.04 completely freezes frequently.