Hi, there!

Laptop ACER Aspire 1300 with Savage chipset, Lubuntu 12.04.

I have NOT changed my kernel, just updated it to the last version in the
standard channels (i.e., just sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get
upgrade).

I've changed my xorg.conf file to:

Section "Device"
Identifier "device0"
Option "DisableTile"
Option "AccelMethod" "EXA"
EndSection

Now the xorg.conf does not mention the VESA driver, while the laptop does not
show problems of any kind.
The problem is solved for me, this way, unless I am missing something big. Am I?

There are some glitches, however. Input text entries (for example, at
login) are surrounded by a thick green border (?), while they are still
functional, and the lxconsole program shows some artifacts while moving
the window... these artifacts disappear when you press enter.

which is subscribed to xserver-xorg-video-savage in Ubuntu.

  Video driver not working for Savage chipset