A google search for ubuntu 12.04 freezes frequently produces "About
792,000 results (0.16 seconds) ".

I opened a bug report at
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/1154006.

If you have the exact same symptoms as I do, and have also attempted to
debug it as I have, consider adding yourself to that bug report.

If however, you are able to do anything with the keyboard or mouse, or
if the screen continues to update, then it is clearly not the same
issue, so please in that case do not add yourself.

I'm sure some of the 440 odd people who are on this thread have bad
hardware, but is it really possible that we all do?

  ubuntu 12.04 completely freezes frequently.