Public bug reported:

Since this version, Bumblebee fails to start a secondary xserver on the
NVIDIA card, with either nouveau or any flavors of the nvidia graphics
driver.

Is this an issue on the Bumblebee side, and then how to fix it, or is
this changes made by Ubuntu that causes this problem (indeed they do,
but the question is about who has to fix this)?

Maarten Lankhorst answered this when contacted by email:
If you want to load the nvidia module you need to specify it explicitly in your
configuration. Intel failed
to be detected before because of a bug. You were probably already running a
xserver with intel.
Before it would just fail entirely because the intel card was already in use,
now it still detects the
intel card through udev.

As a workaround I suppose you could append something like -seat bla, in which
case the intel
device will not be found through udev, unless you had the ID_SEAT property for
that device set to bla too.

However, I haven't been able to make the seat option to work either
since in fact this is equivalent to what we do with loading X using
custom conf files.

I'm providing logs for the non-working case, and will ask someone to add
those for the working one (can't revert to 2b1 at the moment).

** Affects: xorg-server (Ubuntu)

** Attachment added: "Xorg log for nouveau"
   https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1163404/+attachment/3615199/+files/Xorg.8.log

  xerver-xorg-core 2:1.13.3-0ubuntu3 breaks bumblebee