I just noticed something in the dmi output above.  My bios is (was)
quite old.  I just updated my bios and holy crap my system is screaming
fast now.  Didn't change anything other than the bios and when the
system rebooted all of the desktop interactions were super fast.  As
fast as a system with my hardware specs should be.  So, I guess I'll
close that bug as user error?

which is subscribed to xserver-xorg-video-ati in Ubuntu.

  Xorg freeze/performance problem