I was also getting ramdon hard freezes in 13.10. I couldn't even switch
to the the consle to cleanly reboot. Had to do a hard kill.

I was abble to fix my problem by removing nouveau and installing the
Nvidia driver. You results may vary.

sudo apt-get install nvidia-current
sudo apt-get remote nouveau
sudo reboot

I'm running 64bit on a clean install if that matters at all. It was
never an issue on this machine in previous releases.

** Also affects: xserver-xorg-video-nouveau (Ubuntu)

  Ubuntu 13.10 random screen freeze while Normal OS activites