I'm extending my laptop monitor with a native resolution of 1366×768
with an external display with a native resolution of 1280×1024. This
situation is poorly handled.

Here's a representation of my setup, which I mirrored in the Monitor
configuration:

╔════════╤════════╗
║░░░░░░░░│▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒║
║░░░░░░░░│▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒║
╟────────┘▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒║
║▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒║
║▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒║
║▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒║
║▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓┌───────╢
║▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓│░░░░░░░║
╚═════════╧═══════╝

▓ laptop monitor
▒ external monitor
░ area that is not covered by any monitor
═ shape of the virtual desktop
─ shape of the area that is actually covered by monitors

The ░ area should not be eligible for mouse placement and desktop icon
placement, but it is in Ubuntu 10.10 and 11.04 under GNOME (including
Unity). Other desktop systems may also be affected but I didn't try them
all.

ProblemType: Bug
DistroRelease: Ubuntu 10.10
Package: gnome (not installed)
ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 2.6.35-22.33-generic 2.6.35.4
Uname: Linux 2.6.35-22-generic i686
Architecture: i386
Date: Fri Oct  8 13:40:37 2010
ProcEnviron:
 PATH=(custom, user)
 LANG=en_US.UTF-8
 SHELL=/bin/bash
SourcePackage: meta-gnome2

** Affects: xorg-server (Ubuntu)

** Tags: apport-bug i386 maverick
--
Desktop icons and the mouse may reside in areas that are covered by no monitor.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/656855