I have this same issue with my new Toshiba A355-SP7927R notebook with
ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3650. I've read a lot about this problem but it's
difficult to me to track what's going on with this. Where can I track
the kernel modification status? Is there any other bug tracking site
where this bug has been posted and where I could see what's going on?

Could you please tell me if there's any workaround in order to get a
1366x768 at least using "vesa" as driver?

Thank you!

--
[HD 3650] Startup failure "Idle timed out, resetting engine..."
which is the registrant for xserver-xorg-driver-ati.