I'm not a Ubuntu user myself, but seeing the exact same issue on my
Gentoo (unstable) system. I've seen it before the last couple of months,
but only occasionally, typically after a long-running X session and it
usually went away with an X server restart. For a bit over a week now
the problem has been permanent however.

X.Org 1.15.0, xf86-video-intel 2.99.910, Mesa 10.1.0 (also seen with
9.2.5), Linux 3.13.3, Gnome 3 Shell

OpenGL renderer string: Mesa DRI Intel(R) Sandybridge Mobile
[ 27305.329] (--) intel(0): Integrated Graphics Chipset: Intel(R) HD Graphics
3000

Notice that there is a 256x256 area in the lower left corner of the
window in which the window is not translucent. This corner always stays
there independent of window resizes or going fullscreen. For the rest of
the window it looks like its content are being "added" to the
background.

I've seen this bug posted in various places, like reported as a
Minecraft bug or as LWJGL bug (the Java-GL glue library). It's certainly
not a Minecraft bug, as it apparently appears with LWJGL demo
applications as well. All the bug reports seem to have Intel onboard
graphics in common.

Note that there are also reports for a similar bug on Windows, but I
doubt it's related.

  Game windows (minecraft, titan attacks, maybe others) on Intel are
  transparent and no longer playable