Well. Here's a funny thing. I was going mad last night trying all kinds
of xorg options. On many occasions I'd get a black desktop after login -
unity was dying. If I did get unity started then changing resolution
would corrupt the display as reported in the bug. However I could login
and change resolution as any other user. Other clues like getting the
"welcome to dropbox" dialog on login led me to realise it was something
broken with my profile.

I then started systematically moving/removing config from ~/.config/ and
couldn't figure out what was breaking it. So I went on a bit of a
rampage and removed all of ~/.config/nautilus and ~/.config/dconf. This
"fixed" the problem. I can now login fine, and more importantly can
change resolution, all with no changes to my xorg.conf (which I'd
already reverted).

Sorry for wasting your time with this bug Chris!

** Changed in: xserver-xorg-video-intel (Ubuntu)

  Desktop crashes when changing resolution