I stumbled into the same thing: When specifying 'nomodeset' as a kernel
parameter on an Intel i915 system (built in HD4400 graphics), I
sometimes used to get a black screen in 13.09.  In 14.04, the system
would come up, but limited to 1024x768 resolution, and the monitor would
be undetected (named "built in display").  xrandr would offer no
options, and complain that:

  xrandr: Failed to get size of gamma for output default

My understanding is that "nomodeset" disables KMS, which causes Xorg to
use the Vesa driver, instead of the i915 driver.  The Vesa driver then
fails to detect the correct monitor resolution.  Removing "nomodeset"
and running update-grub appears to fix the problem.

I don't think this deserves INVALID, since I feel that:

a) vesafb should still be able to at least detect the monitor - and ideally,
still be able to change the resolution
b) missing KMS should be clearly and accurately reported -  both from xrandr,
in Xorg.0.log, and in graphics settings panel
c) lacking KMS should not disable i915 (or is this unavoidable?)

** Changed in: xserver-xorg-video-intel (Ubuntu)

  intel update 2.15.901 breaks video, reverts to vesa