In addition to my previous comment about Ubuntu 14.04 VM on vmware player 6.0.2
:
- If I use my usual script that create VM in version "Workstation 6.5-7.x
virtual machine" : I have the "split screen" issue.
- If I configure manually, the VM is created in version "Workstation 10.0
virtual machine" : I don't have the "split screen" issue.

I guess it's the same for ubuntu 12.04 (I will test). I hope there will
be a solution to this issue because upgrade all VM to the version
"Workstation 10.0 virtual machine", and all clients to vmware player
6.0.2 is quite complicated.

if you need specific information, don't hesitate to contact me.

which is subscribed to xserver-xorg-video-vmware in Ubuntu.

  VMware guest video broken by the 3.2.0.64 kernel update