Hi cedricg91,

While I don't have a Windows 7 PC handy, I have tested using the
following two host environments.

* ElementaryOS (VMWare Player 6.0.2 build-1744117 / 3D acceleration OFF)
* Mac OS X Mountain Lion (VMWare Fusion 5.0.4 1435862 / 3D acceleration ON)

With each of these host environments, I've tested both
* Ubuntu 12.04 LTS
  kernels:
    * 3.11.0-24-generic
    * latest git as of yesterday
    * 3.2.0-58-generic
    * 3.2.0-59-generic
    * 3.2.0-63-generic
    * 3.2.0-64-generic
* Ubuntu 14.04 LTS
    * kernels: 3.13.0-24-generic
    * latest git as of yesterday

Note: in the 12.04 test, I performed tests with several of the "narrowed
down" versions that users reported in the link below.

https://communities.vmware.com/message/2388776

With each of the above Ubuntu installations, there were no packages or
settings changed from the default installation options (aside from
vmware-tools). Only Ubuntu-recommended updates were performed.

For each of these Ubuntu installations, on each of the host
environments, I have used both KMS and fbdev API's. In KMS mode (via X /
Unity desktop), aside from regular usage, I've resized the screen using
the guest OS (Ubuntu's "System Settings") and also resized using the
VMWare window in the host environment.

I have not been able to reproduce the split-screen issue.

Just a couple of comments:

* Is it possible that this issue ONLY occurs with a Windows (7?) host
environment? VMWare folks?
* I would be very surprised if Ubuntu even used the vmware fbdev interface and
have some doubt that the code path from the patch in question is even hot.

Since I do not have access to a Windows 7 host machine, I would
appreciate if you could test for me.

Can you please add a logging statement in the kernel to function
vmwgfx_fb.c::vmw_fb_check_var() ? E.g.

printk( KERN_INFO "fb_fix_screeninfo.line_length CODE PATH TRAVERSED\n"
);

If you haven't seen the log message above - the split screen issue would
most certainly have originated elsewhere.

If you do see the log message above, can you please try the following:

1) fetching the source package for a kernel that is FAILING your test,
2) reverse-applying the patch from link below
https://lkml.org/lkml/2014/2/1/41
3) recompiling the vmwgfx.ko module
4) making a backup of the original vmwgfx.ko module
5) overwriting the original vmwgfx.ko module
6) trying to reproduce the problem without the "fb_fix_screeninfo.line_length"
patch

If that SOLVES the problem, please repeat the steps above with the
following line removed from the patch.

vmw_write(vmw_priv, SVGA_REG_BYTES_PER_LINE, info->fix.line_length);

I greatly appreciate your effort in helping to resolve this bug - I wish
I could do more, but I'm unable to reproduce it.

Thanks,

which is subscribed to xserver-xorg-video-vmware in Ubuntu.

  VMware guest video broken by the 3.2.0.64 kernel update