In the exactly same situation, the bug has just happened again running 12.10
lts Precise Pangoloin (with hard shutdown and reboot needs).
Running 14.10 Utopic Unicorn the bug affected the entire whole system, even
after rebooting. The desktop screen was empty without launcher nor top bar, any
command avilable neither. I reinstalled 12.10  from a live usb stick (during
that, a warning message  allerted me about a problem to install Ubuntu
Desktop), upgrading it to 14.04 lts Trusty Tahr, but a system loss of pw
coerced me to a new reinstallation  of 12.10, and by now i don't think to
upgrade it...

  TotalBlackCrash_or_IntermittingScreenView[i965gm] GPU lockup  IPEHR:
  0x60020100