I am sorry I confused things with my VMs comment (I was explaining why I
run Windows with 32GB of RAM  - I won't make that mistake again). Yes,
the problem occurs in Windows without VMs as well.

Again my problem is very much like Paul said. I can leave the system for
days without a problem. But then when I am reading something something
on the screen and decide to move the mouse or scroll down or play a
video the system will crash. Though it is crazily inconsistent. I may go
a couple of weeks without a crash then have three crashes in an hour.

I also thought it was related to memory or a memory issue - the more
things I have running the more likely I am to see the problem (e.g. lots
of firefox tabs)...but I have let memtest86+ run for hours without it
throwing an error. I thought it could be a heat issue because I know I
didn't do the greatest job with the thermal paste (I have been watching
CPU temperature closely)...but seeing that you and Paul have the same
problem I am now more confident that I am OK there.

What hardware are you using? Are you using a Shuttle SZ77R5 as well...or
something different? Just wanting to rule out a problem with the Shuttle
hardware.

  Intel i915 video driver causing random crashes on i7 Z77 system