Run as requested (with the MiniDP to VGA) adaptor connected.

Interestingly I tried this with a colleagues generic el cheapo MiniDP to
{VGA,HDMI,DVI} adaptor and successfully got my monitors native
resolution.

So for me at least it appears that the limited resolution issue only
occurs with an official Apple MiniDP to VGA adaptor.  But said adaptor
worked fine in Vivid!

  After upgrade from vivid to wily external monitor has only limited
  resolutions