This bug has been reported over and over again since it was introduced
in 12.04 (just do a LP search for "Maximum number of clients reached").
Now, for some reason in 15.10 it's much easier to reproduce.  I hit the
problem every day now, whereas I used to be able to go a couple weeks
without hitting it.  There are many clues in the older reports:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gnome-screensaver/+bug/263211
seems to have gotten the most attention, and was closed with changes to
gnome-screensaver, but I don't think that actually fixed the problem
(just made gnome-screensaver quit making the problem show up).  It seems
to be some kind of X resource leak.

I don't know if this is relevant or helpful, but taking some of the
comments from that bug report, here are some of the things folks did in
that bug to troubleshoot:

xwininfo -root -children | wc -l

Over time, the resulting number keeps going up.  It's currently at 430,
and if I open a window (gcalc, for example), I'll get the "Maximum
number of clients reached" error when trying to run xwininfo.  If I look
at the out put of xwininfo -root -children right before that, I see that
about 80% of the windows have no name.

Also, if I run xrestop, I get a whole bunch of "<unknown>" resources
with no associated PID (218 of them at the moment). The other 38 are
actual windows I have open.

** Changed in: xorg (Ubuntu)

  "Maximum number of clients reached", new in Ubuntu 15.10