Hello, I've been having this same issue of full system hang/freeze in my Asus
Chromebox (Haswell) since I got it.
I've tried multiple xbuntu distros, kodibuntu and OpenElec and in all of them I
always had system freezes, mostly while watching videos in Kodi but also while
in desktop or watching videos in browser (YouTube, Netflix).
Everytime I've had to go back to Windows, no problem there, right now booting
Win 10 off external HDD and GalliumOS (Based on Ubuntu 15.04 with default
kernel) from internal SSD.

I too can't believe why this bug hasn't been fixed yet and honestly I don't
understand what is the final fix/workaround for this bug.
Some people claim the cstate arg work but for others don't work.

Can someone please provide me a link to latest patched and working
kernel version so I can test. I read all comments but its very
confusing, there is no clear resolution here.

T.I.A

  8086:0f31 Xubuntu freeze once a day