@LocutusOfBorg, I tried adding your repository again today and received
this error with sudo apt-get update:

Err:33
https://launchpad.net/~costamagnagianfranco/+archive/ubuntu/locutusofborg-ppa/+packages
 xenial/main amd64 Packages
  404  Not Found

I don't know if this occurred before, but in any case I downloaded
libepoxy-dev, libepoxy-dev:i386, libepoxy0, and libepoxy0:i386 from your
repository and manually installed them with gdebi. I then placed the
packages on hold and did a sudo apt-get update and sudo apt-get dist-
upgrade.

After this the system booted without hanging, so I played No Man's Sky
under wine for a few moments, as this is one of the things that requires
OpenGL 4.5 compatibility mode. The game played fine, but after exiting
it and Steam I tried opening Chrome and the system froze and the screen
turned black.

However I rebooted the system and tried the same thing again a few times
and it didn't crash. So I suspect there's some type of memory corruption
that's difficult to replicate, but can't know for sure. In any case
whatever you did solved the hang at boot problem, so you're correct
about whatever you thought the problem was. Thank you for your work, and
I appreciate you looking into a problem only a few of us have.

As to where to go from here, I don't know. The crux of the problem is
that AMD abandoned their fglrx drivers before a replacement was ready,
and threw those of us who had just bought $300+ graphics cards off the
cliff. I'd like to abandon them now and get an Nvidia GPU, but at this
moment there's a problem procuring medium to high end GPUs, of any
brand, because of digital currency mining.

So if it's not a lot of effort and you know what the problem is and can
fix it permanently, that would be awesome. On the other hand I know
development resources are limited and I won't blame you if you decide
it's not worth the effort because of the very few people it affects, and
the fact that it's AMD's fault not Ubuntu's.

which is subscribed to libepoxy in Ubuntu.

  New libepoxy0 causes hang at boot