I figured I'd do an experiment and install ssh server on my laptop, but....
Black screen appears to be a complete kernel crash, because wireless LED goes
off and there is no reaction to a plug in of an ethernet cable (no connection
or link LED indication). It is not a kernel panic however, since the CapsLock
is not flashing.
Any ideas or suggestions on where to look next?

--
[i945] screen goes black after a while with intel integrated graphics 945
which is subscribed to xserver-xorg-video-intel in ubuntu.