I set up a PPA for Karmic that will roll libdrm and xserver-xorg-video-intel
back to the Jaunty versions:
https://launchpad.net/~brian-rogers/+archive/graphics-testing

It will be interesting if the older X driver works without problems on
the newer kernel. I haven't had a chance to try this older driver on
Karmic, so be prepared to undo it from the command line if it breaks X.
Also, you may have to boot the kernel with nomodeset, I'm not sure.

If this old userspace stuff works without ever freezing in the new
kernel, then a kernel change may not be at fault at all. In that case,
I'll step my PPA forward one version at a time and we can find out when
the problem first appeared in the X driver.

BTW, I wasn't able to build this old X driver for Lucid, but if we find
this version works on Karmic and I start stepping forward to newer
versions, I'll start supplying Lucid versions when I get to late enough
versions that they build correctly.

--
[i845G] Karmic stops responding a few minutes after log in
which is the registrant for xf86-video-intel.