Sometime in the last two weeks my Xnext (and now that I have tested it,
Xephyr too) have also started failing with:

(EE) config/hal: NewInputDeviceRequest failed (2)
unrecognised device identifier!

I am not running amule, I have edited /etc/dbus-1/system.d/xorg-
server.conf to add the 'allow' lines as above.

Unlike the previous posters, my Xnest is not working, it also fails with
an error "(EE) config/hal: NewInputDeviceRequest failed (2)"

However:

My remote system is also running ubuntu, and its possible that I am
seeing errors by my client programs because they have always been there
and I have only just started looking for them. It seems from my tcpdump
that xdmcp on the server has simply stopped working:

listening on ra0, link-type EN10MB (Ethernet), capture size 96 bytes
18:02:36.543211 IP client.my-net.48197 > server.my-net.xdmcp: UDP, length 7
18:02:38.540822 IP client.my-net.48197 > server.my-net.xdmcp: UDP, length 7

--
Xephyr - unrecognised device identifier!
which is subscribed to xorg-server in ubuntu.