I'm having the same problem: some device names are not recognized any more, in
my case "bcm5974".
As you can see below, "xinput list" shows this device, and I can manipulate it
using the id (12) but not the
name ("bcm5974").  I could use the name with karmic, but not since I upgraded
to lucid.

$ xinput list
⎡ Virtual core pointer                          id=2    [master pointer  (3)]
⎜   ↳ Virtual core XTEST pointer                id=4    [slave  pointer  (2)]
⎜   ↳ "Logitech USB-PS/2 Optical Mouse"         id=10   [slave  pointer  (2)]
⎜   ↳ "Macintosh mouse button emulation"        id=14   [slave  pointer  (2)]
⎜   ↳ "bcm5974"                                 id=12   [slave  pointer  (2)]
⎣ Virtual core keyboard                         id=3    [master keyboard (2)]
    ↳ Virtual core XTEST keyboard               id=5    [slave  keyboard (3)]
    ↳ "Power Button"                            id=6    [slave  keyboard (3)]
    ↳ "Video Bus"                               id=7    [slave  keyboard (3)]
    ↳ "Power Button"                            id=8    [slave  keyboard (3)]
    ↳ "Sleep Button"                            id=9    [slave  keyboard (3)]
    ↳ "Apple, Inc. Apple Internal Keyboard / Trackpad"  id=11   [slave
keyboard (3)]
    ↳ "Built-in iSight"                         id=13   [slave  keyboard (3)]
$ xinput set-int-prop "bcm5974" "Device Enabled" 8 0
unable to find device bcm5974
$ xinput set-int-prop 12 "Device Enabled" 8 0

** Attachment added: "Result of lspci -vvnn"
   http://launchpadlibrarian.net/38339340/lspci

--
xinput no longer works to set-ptr-feedback after the latest Xserver upgrade in
Lucid