It's difficult to form it into a question, if i did it would be "why
doesn't pm-setup detect my touchscreen?"

I tried doing a  "cat /dev/ttyS0-5"  to no avail.

My touch screen is supposed to be connected on COM 5 (which is an
internal com port, not external)

Plainly, the touchscreen is not getting detected. I opened my machine up
and it is using some custom controller board built with the design specs
of penmount circuitry.

The windows drivers of penmout work on this machine, I've seen a
"digitouch usb serial v1.3.3" file there which makes me wonder what they
are doing. Are there any official (even if it is closed source) penmount
drivers?

--
no calibration tool
which is subscribed to xserver-xorg-input-penmount in ubuntu.