Okay, I just did two reboots the normal way (not using recovery mode). The
statistics were as follows:
1 boot that didn't result in a login prompt
1 boot that gave a login prompt but didn't start X

So to summarize what I've found so far:
(1) The bug is still present in a system freshly updated this morning from
us.archive.ubuntu.com.
(2) The bug does not seem to occur when starting up in recovery mode. (In the
session described in #39, I saw it either 0 or 1 time out of 36 attempts in
recovery mode. In the session described in this post, I saw it on 1 out of 2
attempts when not using recovery mode.

I'm going to switch the status back from Incomplete to In progress,
since I think Robert Hooker may have been making an incorrect inference
in #54. Robert Hooker, maybe you could clarify: do you believe that
us.archive.ubuntu.com is out of date compared to archive.ubuntu.com?
This would surprise me (a lot), but if it is the case, i can certainly
point my sources.list to archive.ubuntu.com and do another update.

** Changed in: nvidia-graphics-drivers (Ubuntu)

--
after upgrade to lucid, xorg frequently fails to start properly using
nvidia-current