Luwero unhappy with Museveni
By Rogers Mulindwa

Feb 26, 2004 - Monitor

LUWERO – District officials here are unhappy with President Museveni for frequent failure to attend their functions.

Mr Museveni had been invited chief guest at the 40th anniversary celebrations for Ndejje SS on February 21, but he reportedly changed his mind at the last minute and delegated to Minister Mondo Kagonyera.

District chairman Abdul Nadduli said the people of Luwero wanted to meet Museveni and present their grievances but they were disappointed when he did not show up.

This was the fifth time in two years Museveni was failing to honour the district invitations.

“Tell him that we still love him but he should find time to visit us,” Nadduli told Kagonyera.

The Minister of Education, Dr Khidu Makubuya, who was the function’s organising chairman, unsuccessfully tried to calm the complaining officials.

“We should be in a happy position because the President didn’t reject our invitation and that’s why he sent us Prof. Kagonyera,” Makubuya said.

He said Kagonyera, a professor of veterinary medicine, was the right choice for such an academic function.

Luwero Anglican Bishop Evans Mukasa was also not happy with the President’s no-show attitude.

He said Luwero had not been rewarded for its contributions to the Movement government.

The wider Luwero Triangle was the base for Museveni’s successful five-year bush war.

Kagonyera gave Museveni’s apologise.

He read out Museveni’s message, saying that more secondary schools would be opened at sub-county level countrywide.

He further said that government would grant more aid to schools especially in remote areas.

© 2004 The Monitor Publications