U.N. Bolstering Troops on Congo Border

Wed Nov 24, 1:39 PM ET
Add to My Yahoo!  World - Reuters

UNITED NATIONS (Reuters) - The United Nations (news - web sites) is sending extra peacekeepers to Congo's North Kivu province, which will improve security in the area after Rwanda threatened to carry out a strike against rebels operating on Congolese soil, a U.N. spokesman said on Wednesday.

 

"The U.N. mission (in the Democratic Republic of Congo (news - web sites)) has just begun the deployment of an additional brigade to North Kivu which will give additional security to that region," U.N. chief spokesman Fred Eckhard said.

The mandate of the U.N. peacekeeping mission in Congo "includes preventing the Democratic Republic of Congo peace process from being derailed by spoilers from within and outside the Democratic Republic of Congo," Eckhard added.

The mission had acted to reinforce its presence along the border with Rwanda even before a senior Rwandan official informed it on Tuesday evening of "a threat" to cross into Congo to attack a group of Rwandan rebels, Eckhard said.

The U.N. chief spokesman had earlier appeared to link the deployment to the Rwandan threat.

The Security Council last month approved the deployment of an additional 5,900 peacekeepers in eastern Congo, where there are regular outbreaks of violence despite a cease-fire.


Do you Yahoo!?
Yahoo! Mail - Helps protect you from nasty viruses.
_______________________________________________
Ugandanet mailing list
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://kym.net/mailman/listinfo/ugandanet
% UGANDANET is generously hosted by INFOCOM http://www.infocom.co.ug/

Reply via email to