We can only but wait and observer as to whether the GUNMAN ; the WAR MONGER; the VIOLENCE lover, will this time show his/NRM's sincerity  in taking the avenue for peace. 

 My sixth sense,however, tells me the man is hoodwinking and bamboozling the so called "rebels" so the "rebels"  may take the bait...Like I said, Ugandans need a regime change to do away with this bloody dictator who has cause a lot of Human suffer through his ideology of war.

Come to think about it, What makes Museveni and the NRM think that the so called PAR "Rebels" cannot obtain guns from say RWANDA?

 

MK

Museveni extends ceasefire

SEIZED: PRA rebel arms recovered in Koboko. See P4

BY ALFRED WASIKE AND JAMES OLOCH
PRESIDENT Yoweri Museveni has extended the ceasefire with the LRA rebels for another seven days from yesterday, a presidential aide said.
Moses Byaruhanga said the seven-day ceasefire which expired on November 23, was inadequate for the rebels to assemble in the gazetted areas ahead of talks with the Government.
He said the extension that ends on December 1, was intended to allow the rebels assemble in Patiko, Atanga, Palabek and Atiak areas.
Appearing on Radio Unity, Lira, Byaruhanga said if rebel chief Joseph Kony and his commander Vincent Otti showed commitment to negotiate with the Government, they would be pardoned and allowed to settle down despite the atrocities they have committed.
Byaruhanga said the Government would only talk to the rebels who responded to the amnesty. He said Museveni wanted to avoid
more bloodshed. He said the rebels who failed to gather in the peace areas, would be killed. He said the army was on the ready.
Byaruhanga was hosted along with the Rev.Yeko Ongora Atwai, Levi Okodi Macpio and the LC1 chairman for Senior Quarters, Shaban Rajab Epila. He said although the Government was committed to talking peace, the rebels must respond to the initiative.
He said talks would start as soon as rebels assembled in peace zone.
Peace broker Betty Bigombe, who is also a former minister for the region, has briefed Museveni on the progress of the talks. She had earlier said she would appeal for the extension of the ceasefire if there was need. The World Vision and Acholi traditional leaders also appealed for more time.
Diplomats said they hoped the initiative would end the 18-year-long insurgency in which thousands have been abducted, maimed or killed.
Byaruhanga said, �Government is ready to talk peace with the LRA to ensure that the suffering of the people in Lango, Acholi, Teso and the neighbouring district is ended and the matter becomes history .� He said government was fighting poverty in homesteads in the north, through multilateral approaches. He said people should grow crops with high value that are marketable internationally.
He said the government spent sh2.5b on former Vice-President Specioza Kazibwe�s PhD in Harvard because such highly educated people were needed to handle complicated matters. He said Kazibwe�s studies had been misinterpreted.
Ends

Published on: Friday, 26th November, 2004

__________________________________________________
Do You Yahoo!?
Tired of spam? Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around
http://mail.yahoo.com

_______________________________________________
Ugandanet mailing list
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://kym.net/mailman/listinfo/ugandanet
% UGANDANET is generously hosted by INFOCOM http://www.infocom.co.ug/

Reply via email to