We customize the Default User registry hive in code in our environment -- eg
we've a script like this:

:: make Thunderbird the default mail client on start menu
todo.pl "reg add HKLM\mnt_default\Software\Clients\mail /ve /f /d \"Mozilla
Thunderbird\""
todo.pl "reg add HKLM\Software\Clients\mail /ve /f /d \"Mozilla Thunderbird\""

:: make Firefox the default internet browser on start menu
todo.pl "reg add HKLM\mnt_default\Software\Clients\StartMenuInternet /ve /f /d
\"FIREFOX.EXE\""
todo.pl "reg add HKLM\Software\Clients\StartMenuInternet /ve /f /d
\"FIREFOX.EXE\""

:: mount the default user registry hive
todo.pl "reg load HKLM\mnt_default \"%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\..\Default
User\NTUSER.DAT\""

It can be a pain to figure out what changes to make to the registry -- but you
only have to figure that stuff out once.

Ben

On Jul 22, 2010, at 10:42 AM, William Faulk wrote:

> I've found that setting up the Default User profile works better for
> multiuser systems than any other method, like the All Users directory,
> etc.  However, many, if not most, software installers don't seem to deal
> with the Default User profile properly.
>
> When doing a Windows install by hand, I usually log in as a dummy user,
> perform various configuration settings, and then use the User Profiles
> control panel to copy the profile I just made to the Default User.
> That method obviously doesn't work for an Unattended installation.
>
> Does anyone have any tips or tricks for dealing with the Default User
> under Unattended, including doing something else altogether in order to
> solve that problem?
>
> -Bitt Faulk

Ben Cohen
Programmer/Analyst (STS)