The University of Pennsylvania and a developer have applied for and received
a demolition permit for the Levy Mansion (circa 1853) at the corner of 40th
and Pine.  This national and locally historically designated property was
designed by Samuel Sloan, the same architect that designed 1860's Woodland
Terrace (where I've lived since 1985) a few blocks away.  It is about the
same size and is the same Italianate style Victorian as our buildings.

The Levy Mansion is currently partially surrounded by 1960's additions
(which we are OK with tearing down).

Some near neighbors and the Woodland Terrace HomeOwners Association have
opposed the demolition of the cultural resource and appealed the permit.
Spruce Hill Community Association whose turf includes both the site and
Woodland Terrace have not been opposed to demolition and have supported the
proposed construction of  122 apartments on the site.  Recently a group of
Penn Students have made an alternative proposal to use and study the
building.

The final hearing on the demolition permit will be Monday December 17th
beginning at 10 a.m. (try to arrive early)

1515 Arch Street, 18th Floor (bring photo ID to get into the building).

It should be interesting and worth coming to (and we could use the support).

This has been going on since December of 2007 when an 11 story hotel was
proposed for the site.

- for more information please check out these sites:

http://www.heritech.org/advocacy/40Pine.html

34 <http://34st.com/2012/09/if-these-walls-could-talk/> th Street Magazine
Article

And this letter to the DP
<http://www.thedp.com/article/2012/11/your-voice-architectural-diamond-in-th
e-rough-threatened-with-demolition>  from Adam Levine.

Yours,

Lauren Leatherbarrow

President WTHA