Yes, ownership of slimserver.log and directory prefs/plugin was the
problem.
Thank you, yannick, for bringing this to my attention.

The end result now is that setting up SC 7.2 was actually -very- easy,
using perl-5.10 from Arch and CPAN from Slim Devices. The trickiest
part was because I opted for using an existing MySQL install.

Other than that, I think library requirements could've been better
documented. While fighting the software earlier on, I randomly noticed
that some other distro had libgd as a dependency for SC. Installing
that made slimserver.pl shut up about running build-perl-modules.pl GD
(which silently did nothing when libgd was not installed...)
Additionally, I installed sox which also pulled in lame, libmad,
libvorbis, and libsndfile. If there are other requirements, it was pure
luck that I had them installed.

--
bogomipz