erland;504586 Wrote:

> I'm personally using static IP's on my internal network for this reason
> and run a central dnsmasq server so I can have the static IP<->Hostname
> mapping in one place.

The Debian package named 'dnsmasq' provides hostname-ip mapping... with
dhcp.

  Dnsmasq is a lightweight, easy to configure, DNS forwarder and DHCP
  server. It is designed to provide DNS and optionally, DHCP, to a
  small network. It can serve the names of local machines which are
  not in the global DNS. The DHCP server integrates with the DNS
  server and allows machines with DHCP-allocated addresses
  to appear in the DNS with names configured either in each host or
  in a central configuration file. Dnsmasq supports static and dynamic
  DHCP leases and BOOTP/TFTP for network booting of diskless machines.

My SBS server has a static IP.. but since it's also the router, that is
expected.  Everyhing else on my home network is dhcp.

--
snarlydwarf