I can confirm that squeezeplay works perfectly when pulsaudio is
disabled.
(for which I simply did an apt-get remove pulseaudio) ABBA  is now
playing happily. (no discussions on my taste please. Its simply the
first artist under "A":-)
Question now is how to fix the pulseaudio interworking.

On my squeezeslave problems, I see random behaviour. My sound device
should be sharable, its a plughw device. But sometimes it is not
listed, sometimes it is. Sometimes when I start squeezeplay first,
mythtv refuses to produce sound, but when I start mythtv first,
squeezeplay is working fine.
I have to play a bit more with it to make sense of it all. But
theoretically this might one day work;-)

--
brjhaverkamp