Triode wrote:
> Can you try another dac or another output interface (spdif?)  Do the
> errors in the log correspond with time of the dropouts?  The problem
> here is that I would expect XRUN messages for every drop out and then
> tuning squeezelite may help, but its not clear that you are getting
> these?
I haven't got another dac that I can easily attach directly to either of
my systems (my main DAC is attached to my hi-fi in another room).  On my
desktop the sound card digital out is coax and my mid-fi in that room
has optical - I'll see if I can get my hands on a converter at some
point.

On my Vortexbox I get no error messages in the log, just dropouts and
crackle every few minutes.  I am now trying sending flacs rather than
pcm (I'm on LMS 7.8) and it seems better so far.  I don't quite
understand why shifting the flac decompression load from a 4 cpu system
to an asynchronous USB DAC should improve matters, but it seems to have
done so far.  I shall have to cross my fingers and hope.

On my ubuntu desktop system the errors (both SNDRV_PCM_IOCTL_DELAY and
SNDRV_PCM_IOCTL_START) definitely occurred at the same time as the
dropouts.  I have since added myself to the audio user group so I don't
have to run using sudo, as per the instructions in #1132 on page 114,
and created the 99-audio.conf file.  It ran OK for a while last night
but I need to test more.  I will also try adding the 99-audio.conf file
on the vortexbox at some point and go back to pcm.

Thanks for your continuing support - it is much appreciated by all
users.