This thread seems to be active still.  I think I found a bug in the
squeezelite installation.  I have been fiddling with this a couple of
weeks and installed LMS and Squeezelite using the onboard audio on the
Raspberry Pi for a couple weeks with great success.  Bought a HiFiMeDIY
Sabre USB DAC and installed it.  Again not too much of a problem
although I had to change the /etc/asound.conf file to get it to work
with out pops and cracks.  (somebody else's find and my cut and paste).

Anyway I got it going but Squeezelite would simply just not start at
boot up time with the Raspberry Pi.  I tried several things, failed and
then found the /etc/default/squeezelite file.

I noted on the end of the file it said to call squeezelite like this:

-n Squeezelite -o [then the card parameters]

I simply modified it to call:

squeezelite -o [then the card parameters]

Started at boot time and I am LOVING THIS.  Great program, great project
and really great sound with the USB DAC.

Thanks,

John Hagensieker
Iwakuni Japan