paul-, Greg, thanks.
No, I didn't mean I would VPN the audio over the 2 sites, and you're
right a site-to-site tunnel would be a better idea ;) I simply meant he
might need 20 players, which means I should keep costs down, and
commonality high.
I think I can do this project fairly easily -famous last words- with
linux, I think I'd like to try a truly embedded OS for once. Perhaps
piCore, then.

Here in France, there is always a tax for that.
So, there is indeed a tax for playing audio or video programs in public
places, but AFAIK our administration doesn't bother with logfiles... I
think it's a fixed fee; or perhaps there are blokes paid to visit places
armed with a stopwatch and elaborate charts...
Either way, I don't care because I am definitely not asked to provide
the playlist!

Cheers,

3 SB 3 • Libratone Loop, Zipp Mini • iPeng (iPhone + iPad) • LMS 7.9
(linux) with plugins: CD Player, WaveInput, Triode's BBC iPlayer by bpa
• IRBlaster by Gwendesign (Felix) • Server Power Control by Gordon
Harris • Smart Mix, Music Walk With Me, What Was That Tune? by Michael
Herger • PowerSave by Jason Holtzapple • Song Info, Song Lyrics by
Erland Isaksson • AirPlay Bridge by philippe_44 • WeatherTime by Martin
Rehfeld • Auto Dim Display, SaverSwitcher, ContextMenu by Peter Watkins.