ScottAM wrote:
> I haven't figured out wireshark yet, but when I do I'll try to capture
> just the music stream. Pointers welcome; it's a complicated unfamiliar
> interface.
I'll read the rest of post later but please please just give a pcap dump
of playing a track. You can use wireshark (enable logging, and then save
)  or tcpdump - no analysis just raw data.

A few years ago I spent a lot of time looking at stuttering with SB3
when playing live RealAudio streams which had to be transcoded- trying
to do clever things with the data never worked.  Problem can come about
from the chain of processes ultimately leading to the TCP socket.

Processing power and OS scheduling "realtime" are not issues here -
Slimserver was able to run on NSLu2 a 266MHz ARM processor with only
32Mb RAM and v. early Openwrt standard Linux.

The issues is the flow of data from source to player.  How many
processes, output socket control, if processes/threads how is data
exchanged e.g. pipes, shared memory.
My gut feeling  is that output to TCP socket should either be
non-blocking or else in a dedicated thread/process which has lots of
data ready to send.