paul- wrote:
> Pascal yes, but otherwise I avoided that other stuff.  I'm a mechanical
> engineer, so coding is just for fun.
>
> I was lucky enough not to have to use punch cards.  The university
> installed the mainframe a year or two before I got there.

I am an EE but also got a CS degree later, so allot of language
exposure. Your comment on punch cards made me laugh. My first
programming experience was assembly on a DEC PDP-11 (tape?), and,
Fortran I think on a Cyber computer using punch cards. We were advised
to carry our "program" around in a plastic bag tied with a rubber band
in case we dropped it in a puddle. I have dim memories of dropping and
having to reorder my stack once. :o

Thanks all for the tips on getting started.

Jim