It was more of a general thought from me (and also I probably should not
have said SIGHUP - that was just habit from the old days).

To me it feels better to ask an application to perform an orderly close
down before forcing it.
On pCP this is probably less important because there is probably nothing
that is going to be saved over a reboot as a result of the action.

I have seen (again old times) that files can be left in a strange state
as the result of a kill -9 which then makes a subsequent restart not
always work - so when I use kill by hand I usually try a polite one
first then check to see if it has gone ... and if not then I try a -9
but make a mental note to watch out when I restart it (that mental note
then fades away into oblivion just before I needed to remember it).

Paul Webster
http://dabdig.blogspot.com
author of \"now playing\" plugins covering radio france (fip etc), kcrw,
supla finland, abc australia, cbc/radio-canada and rte ireland