mvordeme wrote:
> I had found two different types of files, one of which had been
> identified somewhere above in the discussion. So far, I have not been
> able to actually see it happen. Every time I observe the system, all new
> file handles are closed again after a few minutes. I have been thinking
> about writing a little watch dog to alert me when it happens.

It was a good while back and I think it may be good to look again.  I
wonder whether the contents of the file somehow results in a scanning
error.

For scanning streamed audio, the audio header (to be scanned) is saved
in a temporary file usually created using File::Temp->new() and it is
possible to do have better control over the temp file.

My initial idea would be to use TEMPLATE so that the name of the temp
file has additional info such as code module, streamname, format  etc. -
the "lsof" can then be used to see if any commonality in the files being
left open.

It is also possible override auto deletion when the associated object is
destroyed so contents can be examined

The File::Temp also has its own debugging which can be enabled although
not sure what it produces - but ultimately it is the module which is
responsible for deleting the file.