kbpro wrote:
> When I power it up the backlight comes on and the screen fades to grey
> (with some light vertical lines).
> I don't get the rainbow display and subsequent boot text.  The Pi boots
> successfully and is accessible via the network but the display never
> updates.
> [...]
> The manufacturing date of the first (problem) touchscreen appears to be
> 2012, and the second (working) one appears to be 2009.  Attached is a
> picture of the numbers printed on the back of the screen.

Just another idea to check ():
There are two generations of these displays: With the newer one you can
control the brightness of the backlight while the first generation has
only an on/off capability. In both types, the backlight is controlled by
the content of the file '/sys/class/backlight/rpi_backlight/brightness'.
For the first generation, a value greater than '0' will switch on the
the backlight while '0' means 'backlight off'.
The second generations accepts values between 0 and 255. The higher the
value the higher the brightness. Now comes the important part for you,
kbpro: values lower than 10 (or 11) lead to a black (or dark) display
what is similar to the behaviour of your display.

Hence, I suggest to check the value in the file
'/sys/class/backlight/rpi_backlight/brightness' whether it is in the
range of 1 ... 10. If yes, then choose an higher one (50 is more than
sufficient.