I know this post should probably be on a completely different part of
the internet. I just don't know where.

So here goes:

I have a rather old server running. HP proliant micro. It consumes 40w
and runs Windows Home server 2011. It gets a bit noisy every few months
when it needs vacuuming.

All in all it is time for a replacement.
I've got my hands on a Raspberry pi 4 in a nice enclosure. I also have a
USB3 external disk for data and two USB2 external disks for off site
backup.

What I imagine is installing a Linux with a desktop gui. I can connect a
monitor and so on initially, but it will live headlessly and be accessed
from a PC.

I pretty much only need it for LMS and file server for windows and
android (phone and tv) with backup to one of the slow disks at a time.

On the old server I had it set up so that the backup disk would be
synced up every night and once in a while I would swap out the backup
disks so a reasonably new set of data lived off site. This was done with
a tool called sync toy. It has been broken for years but I never
bothered to do anything about it. But I want something similar on this
new setup.

Can anyone help me get started on this?

I have dabbled a bit with Ubuntu years ago and I used to be an IT
technician back when windows XP was the OS of choice. So I will be able
to learn some new things. But I don't want to need to relearn a lot of
stuff every time something small breaks.

Yesterday I got piCorePlayer up and running on the pi. Impressive how
easy that was. But it doesn't seem to be able to serve all of my needs.

Thanks in advance.

BR Mogens

2 Radios (1 battery), 2 Controllers, 2 Receivers, SqueezeCommander,
OrangeSqueeze and SqueezePlayer on  Samsung Galaxy Nexus.